November 28 - December 4, 2021
The Weston Department of Public Works continued to fulfill its mission to construct and maintain the physical infrastructure that provides for the public's health and safety, to protect the environment, and to enhance the quality of life and ensure that Weston continues to be a desirable place in which to live and conduct business. The following is the weekly report, by division:
2021 Roadway Reconstruction Program
Utility work needs to be appropriately coordinated and completed, the following roads are expected to be worked on this construction season. This also includes crack and chip sealing programs. Also note the gas main work being completed by National Grid in the utility work section below:
- Ash Street – TBD as sidewalk project at Town Meeting did not pass
- Kings Grant Road after drainage work is complete
Spruce Hill Road – Completed. Bay State Road – Completed. Buckskin Road & Whispering Lane – Completed. Newton Street (150 Newton Street to Route 30) – Completed.
- Spring Road – Anticipate next construction season.
There are two water services from the water main to the curb stop that need to be replaced prior to any roadway work which were relayed October 6th.
- Wellesley Street (milling) – next construction season
- Ridgeway Road (milling) – next construction season
- Linden Circle – next construction season
- Stonecroft Road – next construction season
- Winter Street (section)
- Hallet Hill Road
- Bittersweet Road – next construction season
- Hickory Road – next construction season
- Briar Lane – next construction season
- Stony Brook Road – next construction season
- Old Colony Road- gas work anticipated first and ongoing
- Ferndale Road – gas work anticipated first and ongoing
- Columbine Road – gas work anticipated first and ongoing
- Dean Road – gas work anticipated first and ongoing
- Chiltern Road – next construction season
- Lantern Road – next construction season
- Old Coach Road – next construction season
- Longmeadow Lane – Next construction season
- Walnut Street (section) – Next construction season
Anticipate Crack Sealing Program completed
Road Cutting after Paving Moratorium
Once paving is completed on any roadway in Weston, a five-year moratorium on pavement cutting is placed on that road. This is done to protect the investment made by taxpayers. A five-year schedule of anticipated roadway reconstruction is available on the DPW's web page under Capital Improvement Projects.
Town Center Improvement Project Ongoing Work
Eversource - At the Church Street approach, the relocation of overhead lines (only Verizon remains) to new poles still outstanding, then double poles can be removed.
Verizon – Outstanding work include overhead line transfer at Church Street pole across from Conant Road.
Permanent Signs - work ongoing.
Outstanding work – There will be a couple of trees replaced in the Spring 2022 as there was not good stock at the nurseries; finish controls for tight tank installation on Center Street; several sign installations remain; then punchlist items that are ongoing.
State/Utility Project WorkState/Utility Project Work
National Grid Gas Relay Projects:
- Continuing to coordinate with Eversource on a number of outstanding issues in Town including double poles, poles guyed into trees, leaning poles and pole guyed with rope (Merriam Street), Hazard trees at/near power lines, etc.;
- National Grid has submitted several permits for repairing long-standing gas leak locations;
- Eversource is looking to do tree work (pruning and removals) on several streets in the south section of Town.
Merriam Street Bridge over the MBTA (owned and maintained by MassDOT)
- Church Street – (at/about Pigeon Hill Road) Work completed with the exception of the crossing over the MBTA/Rail Trail – Draft of revised proposal of bridge crossing provided to DPW for review and comments
Sherburn Circle and Tyler Road – Gas Main work completed. Chiltern Road – Gas Main work completed Bittersweet Lane – Gas Main work completed Hickory Road – Gas Main work completed
- Old Colony Road / Ferndale Road / Columbine Road / Dean Road – Gas main replacement ongoing. Anticipate a couple months to complete, approximately end of December;
- Winter Street (Brown to MassPike) – proposed hearing will be required with Select Board and pavement restoration needed curb to curb.
- Wellesley Street (649 to Sylvan Lane) – Approved at the Select Board in June 2021. Permit submitted at DPW and under review.
Myles Standish Road - gas main and service work completed Plymouth Road – gas main and service work completed Hancock Road and Bradford Road - Gas main replacement completed; 420 - 428 North Avenue – Pavement Restoration work anticipated June 2021 Briar Lane - completed 292-352 Winter Street - outstanding work to be completed
- Black Oak Road and Nobscot Road – NGrid submitted road opening permit and a field walk is required prior to start of work;
- Oxbow Road – Anticipate the crew from the Old Colony neighborhood will work on this leak prone section of gas main next;
- Glen Road (from Oxbow to Wellesley Town Line) – Work ongoing on this leak prone section of gas main.
Town is attempting to work with MassDOT on more permanent solution to bridge carrying capacity. Eversource Utility Pole and Infrastructure Upgrades on 117/North Ave & Winter Street (from Natick Town line to just north of Bogle Street)
The project is approximately 40% complete just on the Eversource portion of work which does not include overhead line transfers to the new poles by other utilities. Eversource indicated that for a project they anticipated being completed by June 2021 that if they complete by the end of the winter 2021/2022 that is their optimistic view. Then overhead line transfers. Then double pole removals.
Ongoing DPW Projects & Consultant Work Drainage and Culvert
State TIP (
- Southside Drainage – Phase III – design and permitting work ongoing. Neighborhood meeting occurred with one (1) participant. NOI filed with the ConCom and approved. Next action items are State and Federal permits, affirming easement rights, and final design documents preparation;
Newton Street Drainage (by church and Doublet Hill Area) – Work ongoing. Anticipate drainage work through week of August 23rd and then cleanup;
- Overseeing consultant design and permitting for Concord Road Culvert replacement, which has impacts on the Warren Avenue and Merriam Street culverts - decision matrix tabling being evaluated. Engineering presented findings to Select Board and the Conservation Commission.
- Overseeing consultant design and permitting for Sherburn Circle Culvert replacement.
Overseeing consultant work on)
- Proposed Route 30 Roadway Reconstruction TIP Project (roadway, sidewalk, drainage improvements, intersection improvements, etc.) - approval of 25% plan submission was approved by the Board at a September 24, 2020 meeting. Formal 25% Submission to MassDOT October 2020. Anticipate MassDOT/Consultant Comment Review meeting occurring end of April / beginning of May. Project info at weston.org;
- Proposed Route 20 Intersection Improvement TIP Project - (signal at Boston Post Road/Wellesley Street/Boston Post Road By-Pass) - 25% Plans submitted to MassDOT on March 16, 2020. Anticipate hearing about a MassDOT Pubic Hearing will be scheduled (maybe January 2022). Project info at weston.org;
Ash Street Sidewalk Project – Failed to pass at Town Meeting.
- Warren Avenue – Funding secured for the work; culvert replacement and drainage work needs to take place; sidewalk project needs to be coordinated with roadway work. Warren Avenue sidewalk project has been shelved due to varying opinions on the design of the sidewalk and placement
Wellesley Street (from Chestnut Street to Route 30) – Work is substantially completed with exception of landscape work and cleanup which is scheduled the week of October 18th . Highland Street – Rehabilitation project including the addition of two crosswalks at Highland Meadows. Remaining work this construction season is loaming and seeding and final cleanup. The crosswalks will not be constructed until there is a signoff on the approved plans. The ADA ramps were built on the sidewalk side of Highland Street.
- Wireless Meter Reading - See Weston.org/WaterMeters for more project information.
- Resident Notices for Meter Upgrades: June 18th. First letters send out to Cycle #1 (north section of town);
- GPS coordinates collected on all current infrastructure installations;
- Three remaining Collector Antenna sites prepped for installations – work completed;
- Meter Upgrades at DPW completed and operating on new system – Approximately 40% operational (1448 customers).
- Paines Hill Tank Replacement Design – Consultant contract not executing pending review of land and zoning issue with Town Counsel and Working Group set up by the Town Manager and Select Board to review land and zoning issues.
Longmeadow Water Main Replacement – Working substantially completed the week of August 16th. Brook Road / Valley View Water Main Replacement – Project is substantially completed with services being completed and final cleanup ongoing.
- Currently reviewing 19 Stormwater Permits;
- Approved 36 projects currently under construction;
- MS4 Stormwater Permit Annual Report –
Catch basin cleaning: Completed for this season;
- Meeting with MS4 consultant to discuss MS4 Phosphorus Control Plan (PCP) and additional updates;
- Year 3 MS4 Annual Report was submitted to the EPA and the MassDEP.
- Working with the Town’s Traffic and Sidewalk Committee on several items: Love Lane, Chestnut Street, Sunset Road, Wellesley Street at Route 30 signal, mirrors, stop sign requests, sidewalk requests, crosswalk requests, etc.;
- Engineering Drainage Designs Ongoing / Construction Bid Documents advertised:
Hallett Hill at Merriam Street – Hallet Hill Road drainage completed and construction ongoing on Merriam Street; Newton Street – construction substantially completed; Kings Grant Road (Route 117 to Spruce Hill Road Intersection) – Construction substantially completed with punchlist items remaining;
- Pinecroft at Conant Road – The project is ongoing;
- Rolling Lane – Final drainage design and plan preparation in progress;
- 520 Glen Road – Conservation approved the Order of Conditions; Easement plan being prepared for construction and for maintenance of drainage.
- Completed approximately 48 DigSafes;
- Performed weekly samples (3), monthly water samples at tanks, and station/tank inspections;
- Conducted 3 final read(s);
- Continued to upgrade meters;
- Continued reading meters by hand as we await the water billing to go out with credits from last cycle;
- Installed 2 new large water meters and valves and turned on water services;
- Oversaw the repair of 1 leaking service;
- Shut off 1 water service and turned water back on so repairs could be made;
- Turned 1 bleeder on for the winter;
- Responded to 0 low (no water call) pressure call(s);
- Responded to 1 water quality call(s);
Park and Cemetery Division
- 0 cremation interments;
- 2 grave dug with casket interments;
- Set 1 flush markers;
- Dug and poured foundations for 1 monument(s);
- Covered shifts at Transfer Station
- Leaf cleanup at Linwood Cemetery, Knox Park, Lamsom Park, Town Hall, and Town Green;
- Serviced equipment.
Solid Waste and Recycling Division
- Processed 0 - 100-yard solid waste dumpster(s) totaling 0 tons;
- Picked up municipal office recycling – 600 lbs;
- Picked up Town office and select town park solid waste – 1200 lbs.;
- Processed 1 cardboard container – 5.85 tons;
- Processed 0 glass container – 0 tons;
- Processed 1 container of plastic – 1.61 tons;
- Processed 0 bulky plastic container – 0 lbs;
- Processed 0 newspaper container – 0 tons;
- Ran 1 shuttles for grass/leaves – 7.74 tons;
- Ran 0 shuttles for brush /logs – 6.55 tons;
- Processed 1 metal container – 4.39 tons;
- Process 0 container of scrap wood – 0 tons;
- Assisted with the pickup of various donations including clothing, electronics, books and bikes – 2.03 tons;
- Assisted with pickup of Weston textiles – 800 lbs;
- Electronics and appliances w/Freon – 0 tons;
- Processed the pickup of CRT electronics – 0 lbs;
- Processed 5 cent deposit bottles and cans – 1.27 tons;
- Processed 1 rechargeable battery pickup – 40 lbs;
- Processed pickup of medical sharps – 90 lbs;
- Processed pickup of light bulbs – 0 lbs;
- Assisted with the pick-up of propane tanks – 0 tanks (0 lbs);
- Pickup auto batteries and wire recycling – 0 lbs;
- Swap Shed open on a volunteer basis;
- Cleaned the trailer pit as needed;
- Pick up litter and cleaned up around the site as needed;
- Packed containers as needed to maximize loads;
- Disinfected Solid Waste and Recycling areas daily;
- Seasonal cleanup around the Transfer Station;
- Food Composting – 0 lbs.
- BULKY WASTE COLLECTION CHANGES started May 1st – See WestonMA.gov/BulkyWaste for details
- Pay-as-you-throw (PAYT) - October 2021
Outside of Division:
- COVID-19: Personnel and Equipment SOPs;
- Respond to Misc. calls for Service – 0;
- Traffic Detours Setup & Removals: None;
- Inspect Roadway/Driveway Conditions: None;
- Employee In/Out of House Training: None;
- Cooks Pond Pump Station (drainage): Pump operating normally, 12/3;
- DIGSafe Markouts & Permits Requested: None;
- Message Board: Frontage of DPW for Hired Plow Operators & DPW Mechanic Vacancy;
- Deer Removal / Dead Animal Removal: 11/20 and 12/3;
- Cleaning and Servicing Equipment: As needed;
- Assist Water Division: Water Main Break 11/22;
- Assist Park/Cemetery/Transfer Station Division: Push up brush dump, Leaf pickup;
- Assist Fleet Maintenance: None;
- Assist Engineering:11/18 (Engineering);
- Assist Police Department: None;
- Assist Fire Department – None;
Assist Town Center Contractor – None;
- Assist Tree Contractor with Removals – None;
- Assist Paving Contractor (Lazaro) – None;
- Assist Hydroseeding Contractor: None;
- Assist Loaming Crew: None;
- Assist with/or Applying Pavement Markings: None;
- Assist Drainage & Video /Jet Cleaning Contractor: None;
- Assist Grounds/Facilities: None;
- Assist Conservation Commission – None;
- Assist Recreation Department – None;
- Assist MassDOT: None;
Assist VMP Contractor: None – completed this season; Assist Crack Sealing Contractor: None.
- Inspect Roadway Conditions: Various locations;
- Screen and Remove waste gravel material from Upper Yard
- Sign and Mailbox Repairs and Installations and fence repairs:
- Assist Stormwater Division – Clean & Clear Catch basins and waterways;
- Pavement Markings (temp) applied and/or removed: None;
- Remove debris from roadway: Tree and car parts debris;
- Skin Overlay: None;
- Pothole Patching and Trench Patching: 12/3 also ground down and repaved driveway apron at 128 Newton Street;
- Wall Inspections and/or Repairs: None;
- Sidewalk & Island Leaf Cleanup: 11/29, 11/30, 12/1, 12/2
- Street Sweeping: None;
- Repair Shoulder Erosion and/or Surface Degradation: None;
- Mowing and trimming Islands and Grass Strips: None;
- Flail Mowing: None;
- Inspect Tree Locations: None;
- Tree and/or Branch Removals and Debris Cleanup: 12/3 Pond Brook Circle;
- Tree Canopy Raising and Trimming: None;
- Cleanup Stump Grindings, backfill with Loam and grade: None;
- Loam and Seed: None;
- Drain Line/Pipe Repairs: None;
- DMH/CB Inspections & Roadway ID Markings: 11/29;
- Assist Highway Division: Sidewalk and Island leaf cleanup and Pothole and trench paving;
- Street Sweeping: None;
- Check and Clear Waterways: None;
- Respond flooding calls: None;
- Jet Cleaning Drainage (DPW): None;
- Catch Basin Inspection, DMH rebuild: Baldwin Circle CB repaired 11/29 and paved on 12/3;
- Install/remove Erosion Controls: None.
- Sand Barrels: None;
- Yard Loader for Material Storage: None;
- Deicing Operations: None;
- General Plowing: None;
- Sidewalk Plowing: None;
- Install and Prep Plow and/or Deicing Equipment: None;
- Remove Plows: None;
- Snow Removal: None.
Vehicle Maintenance Division
Performed routine maintenance (fluid services, tires and brakes, exhaust, steering and suspension, exterior trim work and electrical repairs) on
- 2 school buses
- 3 police vehicles
- 11 DPW trucks and other equipment
- 0 recreation vehicles
- 0 school grounds vehicles,
noting that the DPW Vehicle Maintenance Division is responsible for over 131 pieces of rolling stock for the Town;
- Performed 2 major repair(s) on vehicles with Major/Significant maintenance activity: Bus 12 brakes and brake lines; W2 oil plan sensor;
- Fuel island, weekly inspection performed;
- Fuel tanks (0) gallons gasoline delivered; (0) diesel delivered;
- Facility tanks (0) gallons pumped, waste oil (0) gallons, Waste antifreeze (0) gallons; tight tanks (0);
- Inspections: None;
- Road Call: None;
- Recalls: None;
- Division Project: None;
- Wash Bay Maintenance: None;
- Performed 0 repairs on sanders and plows: None
Don't miss another weekly update.
Easily subscribe today at www.westonma.gov/list.aspx
Comments/Suggestions: contact firstname.lastname@example.org