Art Donation Policy
Art objects and antiques will be considered for acceptance on a case-by-case basis. The Library has no obligation to accept, display, or maintain any items donated. Once an item is accepted, the Library shall be the sole owner of the donated item(s) and will have the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to deaccession any donated item(s) without providing notice to or obtaining the consent of the donor. Final decisions as to the acceptance of art donations are made by the Board of Library Trustees at the recommendation of the Library Director.
The Weston Public Library has limited space for the display of art so careful consideration is necessary for acceptance of a piece of art for long-term loan or as a gift. The following criteria may be considered:
- The art should be appropriate in scale, material, form and content for the library environment.
- Extremely fragile items or those that are potential targets for vandalism are not appropriate for the library setting.
- When selecting a work of art to purchase or determining if a gift may be accepted, the Board of Library Trustees will take into consideration security issues, cost of installation, and cost of maintaining the work over its lifetime.
- Works will not be selected or accepted that create unsafe conditions or contain other factors that may bear on public liability.
Conditions of Acceptance
- All gifts must be unconditional, transferring ownership and all rights of ownership to the Weston Public Library.
- Gifts are accepted only with the understanding that the Board of Library Trustees has the right to determine retention, location and other considerations relating to the use or removal of the donated gift.
- The Board of Library Trustees may choose to display the gift or not.
- The Board of Library Trustees may choose to sell the item and use the proceeds for any purpose appropriate to the library’s mission and/or transfer ownership of the item as it deems appropriate.
- The Board of Library Trustees will not appraise the value of any gift for income tax deductions.
Accepted by the Weston Public Library Board of Trustees November 4, 2019