Building FAQs

How Do I Apply for a Building Permit?

Building permit applications are available online or in person at the Building Department - 2nd floor at Town Hall, 11 Town House Road. You may also contact Margy Cohen, Permit Administrator at 781-786-5066 for guidance with your project. 

Do I Need a Building Permit for My New Heating System?

Yes. A mechanical permit (building permit) is required for boilers, furnaces, HVAC systems, new or replacements.

What are the Hours of Operation for Construction?

  • Monday through Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. 
  • Saturdays: Outside work is 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Interior work that cannot be heard outside the structure is from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Sundays or holidays: No construction activity can take place outside unless special permission is given by the Police Chief.

Do I Need a Permit for a Deck?

Yes. The deck must comply with zoning, wetland, and septic system setbacks. It will also be reviewed for flood plain and building code compliance. A certified plot plan is required with the other conditions, if pertinent. 

Two sets of building plans (see building permit application instructions) must be submitted showing size, spacing of all structural members as well as location of concrete footings.

Do I Need a Permit for a Fence?

Yes, if the fence is more than 6-feet high, as measured from existing natural grade. Please call the office for additional instructions for fences over 6-feet high.

Do I Need a Permit for a Retaining Wall?

If a retaining wall (including rip-rap) constructed of any masonry material including concrete and is less than 36-inches above existing natural grade it does not require a building permit. 

Please call the office for additional instructions if 36-inches or above.

What are the Requirements for Fences Around a Pool? 

  • Minimum of 4-feet high
  • Self-closing, self-latching gates
  • Openings in the fencing cannot allow the passage of a 4-inch diameter sphere
  • All doors with direct access to the pool from the dwelling (if used as part of the pool enclosure) must be equipped with an audible alarm or an approved power safety cover. 
  • A building permit

How Do I Get a Road Cutting Permit?

Contact the Town’s Department of Public Works at 781-786-5100 to obtain details on obtaining a Street Opening Permit or Curb Cut Driveway Opening Permit. Both applications are available on the DPW’s applications web page

Please note: there is a road cutting moratorium on any public roadway that has been paved within five years. Roadway paving is a part of the Town’s Capital Improvement Program

When is a Sheet Metal Permit Required?

When work includes, but not limited to:

  • manufacturing
  • assembling
  • fabrication
  • installing
  • dismantling
  • altering and repairing of duct or air exchange systems
  • Testing, adjusting, and air balancing of all air handling equipment 
  • duct work installed during new or remodeling of construction - residential or commercial
  • installation of kitchen hoods, kitchen vents, bathroom exhaust vents, and fans

Is a Special Sheet Metal License Needed?

Yes. The licensee must hold a J-1/M-1 unrestricted license or J-2/M-2 restricted to dwellings 3 stories or less and commercial up to 10,000 square foot stories or less.

When Do I Need a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)?

For Residential:  new houses and large additions, renovation projects may require a CO. Temporary CO may be issued with conditions, if necessary.

For Commercial: New building, additions, and extensive remodels.