Ecological Management Plan
The Conservation Commission has engaged Mass Audubon’s Ecological Extension Services to draft an Ecological Management Plan (EMP) for the Case Estates. The EMP will help to guide the maintenance and stewardship of the unique Case Estates property over the next seven years. It is expected that the EMP will recommend fiscally prudent management priorities and practical techniques for ecological management concerns such as:
- Improving and maintaining existing meadows and field edges (including stone walls) for both ecological (pollinator habitat, grassland birds) and scenic landscape value;
- Managing invasive or undesirable plant species in a manner that balances ecological priorities and feasibility, thereby providing the best and most sustainable ecological outcome given finite fiscal resources;
- Caring for specimen trees and fostering their long-term health and beauty;
- Developing a short-term plan that fosters passive recreational uses, ecological needs, and aesthetic qualities while allowing for long-term future uses that may also include agriculture or development; and
- Other topics that arise through the public outreach and ecological management planning process.
Ecological Management Plan Schedule
- June 2019: Ecological Management Plan Stakeholder Meeting (PDF)
- Summer/Fall 2019: Field visits and initial draft preparation
- November-December 2019: initial draft available for public review; presentation of draft to Conservation Commission, other interested boards and committees, and public
- December 2019-January 2020: finalize Ecological Management Plan
- February 2020: presentation of final Ecological Management Plan
Stakeholder Meeting and Initial Input
At the Case Estates EMP Stakeholder Meeting on June 12, 2019, neighbors and residents had the opportunity to learn more from Amber Carr of Mass Audubon’s Ecological Extension Services regarding the challenges and opportunities at the property and to share their ideas for how the Town can best steward this land. The meeting notes are available online (PDF).
If you missed the Stakeholder Meeting and have thoughts to share about how the Town can best steward the Case Estates over the next seven years, please share them before July 30, 2019 by filling out this short online Google Form.
The Weston Media Center kindly produced this public service announcement about the Case Estates EMP