Town Center Improvement Project
The Town Center Improvement Project is the first opportunity in over 100 years -- since the design and construction of the Town Green -- to enhance the quality of the Town Center by addressing pedestrian and traffic safety, parking availability, and an opportunity for a variety of public activities, as well as the appearance of the Town Center. This will be the largest road construction project in Weston's history.
Over a four-plus year period, the Town Center Planning Committee, working with the Public Works Department, a team of engineers, landscape designers, and a planning consultant, has carefully addressed the myriad design and engineering challenges that face any project of this size.
Construction Update - July 15th
Drainage work will continue this week from Concord Road to approximately house no. 527 on the Post Road. Then crews will shift to the Town Green and work west towards 483 Boston Post Road. The road will continue to be reduced to a single lane for traffic and police detail will be on site at all times to assist people into businesses and in and out of residences.
Refer to the Three-week Look Ahead document (also below) for anticipated work. This document is updated weekly.
Access to homes and businesses will always be maintained. Police Detail is on site.
Work will begin at 7:00 a.m. and generally conclude around 3:00 p.m., though some days may go a bit longer.
- Three-week Look Ahead (PDF) - July 15th
Police detail is on site to direct traffic. At times, when work dictates, the one-way direction of Fiske Lane will be reversed to accommodate traffic heading west. Watch for posted signs in the vicinity.
The 12 parking spaces along Fiske Park are closed temporarily. As work continues down Boston Post Road, some street parking will be closed during work hours. Pedestrian access to businesses will be maintained since work is "between the curbs."
NO PARKING signs will be posted 24-hours in advance of road work. We ask that you take notice of these signs and to refrain from parking in these areas during the posted hours.
Tree protection has been installed around the trees located in the planned construction area.
Tree trimming is also anticipated to occur mid to late July. The project's landscape architect will be on site during this process to ensure the health of the trees is protected.
How to Follow Progress & Get Updates
A dedicated listserv has been set up for those interested in receiving construction updates and notifications via email or text. Subscribe at Weston.org/StayInformed and look for the "Town Center Project" under News Flash.
- Repair the curbs, streets, and sidewalks, including the required improvements for handicapped accessibility and drainage upgrades
- Reconfigure the location of the curbs and sidewalks to create more continuous and ample sidewalks, safer crosswalks, new open space, and traffic-calming strategies
- Remove the utility poles and overhead wires to allow for new trees to be planted along Boston Post Road between Colpitts Road and School Street
The Open Space Plan, Tree Selection, and Tree plans are located below, along with the 100% construction plans.
- Legend, General Notes, Baselines, Tie-ins, Typical Sections - pgs. 1-17 (PDF)
- Construction Plans and Profiles - pgs. 18-31 (PDF)
- Signs and Pavement Markings - pgs. 32-39 (PDF)
- Drainage, Water, Sewer, Gas, Electric/Telecom, Utility Plans - pgs. 40-74 (PDF)
- Curb Ties and Grading - pgs. 75-89 (PDF)
- Construction Details and Temporary Traffic Controls - pgs. 90-105 (PDF)
- Construction Phasing - pgs. 106-139 (PDF)
- Electric, Lighting, Site Power, and Existing - pgs. 140-163 (PDF)
- Landscape Plans - pgs. 164-185 (PDF)
- Cross Sections for Boston Post Rd - pgs. 186-211 (PDF)
- Cross Sections for Side Streets - pgs. 212-230 (PDF)